Boy Makes “Lick It” List For Dying Dog

Shelley Mamott, Staff Writer

In 2005 a dog named Bingo came into the life of a then 4-year-old boy named Cole Hein. Cole has an undiagnosed disorder which makes him suddenly stop breathing when he is asleep or even when he is awake. Bingo, the Jack Russell terrier was trained to recognize when Cole stops breathing and bark to alert his parents. Bingo has saved the boys life on numerous occasions.

Cole, 11-years-old is now able to fight the disorder on his own. While Bingo, now 14, was diagnosed with Canine Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome. Unfortunately, Bingo does not have long to live so to honor her Cole decided to create a “lick it” list of things he wanted Bingo to experience before she dies.

Bingo won the Purina Hall of Fame’s “Service Dog of the Year” award.

Mandi Hein, Cole’s mom, said that the night after they received the diagnosis, she heard Cole talking to Bingo in his bedroom. “I thought at first he was playing his video games. I listened and he was actually talking with Bingo about all the things he wanted to do with her.”

Cole and Bingo, best friends forever

Cole’s list for Bingo included a trip to Ruckers, a photo shoot of them together, a walk around Bingo’s favorite block – twice, and to get her treats from around the world. The Heins posted a facebook page to help get Bingo her treats and they have received more treats than they possibly could have imagined. There is no doubt that Bingo is getting the most out of her final days, thanks to her best friend.

by Shelley Mamott

Stories, videos and news

32 thoughts on “Boy Makes “Lick It” List For Dying Dog

1. Scott Loftis says:

That made me cry–and I’m a jaded 43-year old. You’re doggie is BLESSED to have someone as nice as this boy as your friend.

2. gretchen uno says:

Dear Cole: I believe there is a reason for everything and I feel maybe Bingo came into your life for several and the latest one being how both of you have taught us the true meaning of love. Thank you and Bingo for such a powerful lesson. Remember, when his time comes to cross over the rainbow bridge, he will ALWAYS be with you in spirit. God bless you. GHU

3. Christine c. says:

Dear Cole – you are a beautiful young man and both you and Bingo are blessed to have eachother. Appreciate every moment you still have with Bingo. You will cherish those memories for the rest of your life. Reading your story brought me a smile and tears – god bless both of you!!!

4. Wendy says:

Dear Cole, When Bingo’s time comes to cross the Rainbow Bridge and join other animal friends, he will always be happy and healthy. You’re a good and kind person.

5. Rick says:

God Bless and keep Cole and Bingo in our hearts. This is love and in this harsh world, that love makes us believe that goodness does triumph sometimes. Bingo, you are a beautiful and loved little doggie. May St. Francis bless you again and again.

6. Missie says:

Your story has touched my heart in a way that I can’t explain. Cole I hope that you have Bingo with you for a long time, and that your health improves. God bless you both.

7. Smiley says:

Many years ago I had a 16 yr old with the same problem, they had no meds for canines at that time. I asked that he be put on the same drug for humans. I had to cut it by 1/10 with tapicoa pudding. He lived another 2 yrs. without many symptoms. Now they have Anipryl.

8. Janet says:

Sad but beautiful story. The tears are flowing. God has Blessed such a sweet little boy to have such love in his life. You make all of us dog lovers so very proud. You are one awesome boy. God made the perfect match of you and Bingo. Thank you Cole for showing people what unconditional love really is. God bless you sweetie.

9. Cheryl says:

Tears!!! I have an older dog, also. I dread the day I will have to say good-bye to her. I’ve had some rough times, and she has always been there for me. Cole, the love you have for Bingo, and Bingo for you, is beautiful.

10. dottie lutz says:

Such a beautiful dog and loving pair! I hope an artist sees your story and makes a statue of little Bingo. He deserves a statue like other champions get because that is what he is. Cole you’re a champ too, don’t ever forget it! <3

11. dorothy gothelf says:

two hero’s god bless them both. my heart gose out for bingo . what a great dog and cole you are a sweet boy and may god bless you. reat story . i know there will be another bingo in cole;s life because when bingo gose to heaven he will make sure to that . love you guys

12. marie cornwell says:

COLE…what a magnificent young man you are….in partnership with your amazing little bingo…When “BINGO” is called to heaven…he will be waiting to run into your arms again at “RAINBOW BRIDGE” GOD BLESS YOU BOTH!!!!♥♥

13. J J Murphy says:

What a wonderful story. How good of Cole to repay his friend with heartfelt kindness. What good memories you will always have.

14. Dan N says:

I kind of know what you are going thru Cole. I had a black lab that taught herself to alert others when I was suffering thru a seizure. After awhile, she also got to where she could detect them coming on, and would jump in my lap and push her full body weight against my chest, to keep me upright, in a chair. When I was unable to walk, she enjoyed pulling me around in my wheelchair, and knew how to stop and look before crossing.
    The last few weeks she was with me, I knew something was wrong with her, but being on disability income, I didn’t have the money to take her to the vet, and no one would help me financially. The day my wife took her to a vet that finally said he would help her, we arrived to late.
    I am 43yrs old, and that was the first time, since I was an adolescent, that I had cried.
    Since than, I have not been able to find, or afford another dog that could perform the tasks she did.

15. Donald H says:

So very sorry for your loss! I’m not able to help, financially or otherwise but I surely hope that someone who can will see your plight and respond… Good luck and best wishes…

16. iloveanimals says:

Your dog was so lucky to had you, you’re awesome. Know you must be hurting.when I lost my last dog, I was so sad and said didn’t want to get anymore because the pain was to much to bear.As time passed, I thought there are many animals that needs the love and care I gave to my (best friend) my late dog. I now have 3 dogs and 1 cat. Got them all from animal shelter. I’ll never forget the dog I lost and he’s in my heart.

17. Jim says:

Cole !I AMA former us marine with p.t.s.d.and a few other problems combat related, many times I was ready to just give up, but then this little fuzzy chipoo came into my life, and I truly believe in my soul, he saved my life, my kids are grown and are gone, but bandit is my best friend and I love him so much,he is only a year old so hopefully long way to go you keep yor smile you are a hero!