A Little Tribute To My First Pup

Submitted by Stacey R:

After years and years of begging my parents for a pup, we finally got one when I was in high school. Lexi was a one-of-a-kind, sweeter than any dog I know, black lab.

She knew how to “not peek”:

And sometimes, she was a “ninja dog”:

She was often scared of going up and down stairs, but she would temporarily forget about that if there was a BBQ, tennis ball or car ride involved.

She was very loved by me and my parents and when I moved out, she took my place in the car and always got to go out to lunches and dinners. And at these meals, there would always be a paper napkin laid out on the table filled with a couple treats…a piece of steak, a french fry…to bring back to the waiting pup in the car. Some people were really confused by the napkin on the table. But the dog people knew.

Lexi was hit by a car over the weekend and did not survive. I’m sad for so many reasons.

I’m sad that I didn’t get to say goodbye. I’m sad that her last minutes here were likely painful and I’m sad for my family who lost a very special family member and companion.

I’m happy that Lexi has forever made me have a special place in my heart for black labs and every time I see one, she will be the first thing I think of. I’m happy that doggy heaven must certainly have an endless supply of tennis balls, they must surely BBQ every night, and cars must definitely be lined up waiting to take dogs on daily rides. I’m happy for all the wonderful memories she has brought to me and my family and I am thankful that she is the first dog I had the pleasure of having in my life.

It feels unreal still. Like when I go to my parents house next she will be there waiting for me. And then I remember, that won’t happen. I miss you, Lexi. Thanks for all the smiles.

And to all of my friends that took the time to say some words of comfort to me, I appreciate it more than you know. Make sure you give your pets extra love tonight.

by A Place To Love Dogs

13 thoughts on “A Little Tribute To My First Pup

1. Rachael P says:

Stacey R, I am so genuinely sorry for your loss. Losing a beloved pet is never easy but especially when you know their last moments were spent in pain and confusion. But nothing can ever erase the years of love and devotion – on both sides. Lexi loved you and your family just as much as you loved her… and that’s what matters most. She’s at peace now but she’ll live forever in your memories.

2. Divya says:

I can’t put into words how sorry I am. Lexi was a beautiful girl who sounds like she had a wonderful personality. She and your family are all lucky to have found and loved each other. I’m sending good thoughts your way and know that Lexi is probably in a happy place smothered with BBQ sauce.

3. Christine says:

I’m so sorry! I lost my Kudi the same way exactly one month ago today. My memories of her do not fade, but the pain that I felt has subsided. I now only think of her and smile, and remember the wonderful times we had together, although she only lived a short time, I know I gave her the best life I could have. I know Lexi will always have a place in your heart, and it’s never easy losing a best friend, especially when it’s unexpected. But I hope it comforts you to know that she is in a better place, no longer in pain, and surrounded by grassy fields that she can run! Alongside my Kudi, they can share a happy life in eternity.

4. sandra says:

i’m so sorry for the loss of your dog in such a tragic way… she seemed like such a beautiful baby. RIP sweet angel!!! xoxo

5. Anonymous says:

I am so sorry for your loss,, I lost my beloved JRT Bella last year . she bit a toad she was with another family at the time I could no longer have her at my house she was too aggressive with others ( not me) but with other family members and dogs. I also could not say goodbye so I know it hurts, but Lexie lives in your memories now, and is at peace in heaven. my condolences .

6. Judy Phillips says:

My heart is so sad for you. I have a black lab that has made a place in my heart .I cannot think of how sad I would be if my big black dragon named Lexi left this world like your baby.We only have them with us for such a short time and need to love them while they are in our lives.I am sure she was brought into yor life for a purpose as all dogs are. To teach us how to appreciate life everyday unconditionally.RIP

7. Lori says:

I’m so sorry for your loss. It’s so hard when we lose a 4 legged family member. Dogs are love personified. They don’t care what you look like they love you. They are pure love. My sincerest condolences on your loss.

8. Judy says:

I am so sorry to hear about your Lexi. She was an amazing dog. Even though I don’t know you or your family personally, we have a connection through our love of dogs. My terrier-mix dog Chance passed away almost 5 years year. And I miss him every single day. He was my first and only dog – because no other dog could replace my Chance. He was 14 years old. I can no longer listen to the song “Mr. Bojangles” because I will be that person mourning the dog after 20years. My heart hurts for you and your family at this time of loss. Lexi was a great dog as evidenced by the videos you share. She graced your lives with unconditional love, filled your hearts with joy by her silly antics, was there to calm you when needed. God bless you and your family. Like you said, Lexi is waiting for the tennis balls, the tug ropes and the car rides.

9. Rachael P says:

Judy, none of my business but I hope you’ll change your mind and adopt another dog. Nobody can take Chance’s place and you shouldn’t expect it to – but I know your heart is big enough to hold another furbaby. You have so much to give and there are so many needy dogs out there, just waiting for a CHANCE to love you. *hugs*

10. Linda K says:

I am so sorry to learn of your loss. There is nothing more painful than losing a beloved member of your family. My westie died nearly 2 years ago and I still miss her desparately every day. But now I can smile through my tears at the multitude of memories and knowing that her pain is gone. She waits for me at the Rainbow bridge but in the meantime she will be playing with Lexi. May you find peace. Blessings on you and your family.