Top 10 Dog Breeds That Don’t Shed

Shelley Mamott, Staff Writer

Many would be dog owners are hypersensitive to allergens from dogs that can trigger allergic reactions. Luckily, for these allergy sufferers there are a number of hypo allergenic, non shedding dog breeds that are less likely to trigger an allergic reaction. Here is a list of the top ten hypo allergenic dogs to choose from so you and your best friend can live together happily.

1. Yorkshire Terrier

Yorkshire Terriers are very small dogs with very big personalities. They have a long luxurious coat that sheds very little but does require regular brushing and grooming. Yorkies are very outgoing and highly sociable. They are always on alert and can be relied upon to bark even at the smallest sign of danger or the presence of intruders.

2. Dachshund

Dachshunds with their big droopy ears, long bodies, short legs and warm intelligent eyes, are definitely endearing to anyone. They come in three different coat types—short or smooth haired, wire haired and long haired. The long-haired Dachshund may shed a little and need daily grooming, however the other varieties don’t shed as much. They love to be around people, and can make good watchdogs because they are naturally suspicious of strangers.

3. Poodle

The Poodle is the ideal dog for allergy sufferers because they hardly ever shed. They possess a lustrous dense coat, curly or corded and need to be groomed regularly to keep their coats free from tangles. Their affectionate and loving nature allows for a strong bond with all family members. They make excellent watchdogs and are constantly alert and quick to bark.

4. Shih Tzu

Even though the Shih Tzu has a long silky coat they are considered non shedders. However, because of their long hair, they need to be regularly groomed with daily brushing to avoid tangles. Owners my opt to clip their coats close to the body if they don’t have the time and patience to do daily brushing. These high energy, little dogs can be a good watch dog but without a pack leader, they can develop  ‘small dog syndrome’  which can make them behave as if they are the boss of the household.

5. Miniature Schnauzer

The Schnauzers are extremely affectionate which make them an excellent family dog. Their wiry overcoat and soft undercoat requires the need for regular grooming but they hardly ever shed making them excellent for those prone to allergies. A lot of Miniature Schnauzer owners prefer to have the hair clipped short except for its beard, legs, eyebrows, and mustache.

6. Boston Terrier

The Boston Terrier has a smooth short coat which can be easily groomed and shedding is relatively insignificant. This breed loves people and because they are fairly quiet, they are suited well to apartment living. They are known to be rambunctious on occasion.

7. Maltese

The Maltese is a toy breed that has very long silky hair which does not shed. This breed requires regular brushing which can prove to be expensive and time consuming. Known to be highly intelligent, a Maltese can also have a stubborn streak. These dogs can be highly excitable and fearless.

8. Havanese

The Havanese is a non-shedding dog with a silky wavy double coat that requires regular grooming. This dog’s outer coat is soft and light which allows them to be protected during extreme weather conditions. They have a strong social need and love to be with human company. They are excellent with children and highly intelligent. Known for their sunny disposition, they will quickly welcome any guest into your home.

9. West Highland Terrier

The Westie’s coat has two layers—a straight outer coat which is smooth, hard and weather resistant and an inner coat that is short and soft. Their shedding is negligible. Their coat needs daily brushing to keep it free from loose hairs and to prevent matting. They are energetic little dogs with instinctive hunting skills.

10. Bichon Frise

The Bichon Frise has a thick wavy coat but no distinct undercoat. It does not shed but it’s fluffy coat needs to be brushed daily and some may opt for regular professional grooming. Because it can get costly and time consuming some owners may choose to clip the Bichon Frise’s hair close to it’s body for less cost and maintenance. These dogs are friendly, affectionate and live well with other pets in the household.

Disclaimer

This information is gathered from general unverified internet sources for the convenience of readers and is not intended as expert advice or guidance, but as a starting point for further research. Consult a veterinarian for guidance in all pet related matters.

More on dogs

Top 10 Small Breed Dogs

by Shelley Mamott

Stories, videos and news

87 thoughts on “Top 10 Dog Breeds That Don’t Shed

1. Anonymous says:

“The long-haired Dachshund may shed a little and need daily grooming, however the other varieties don’t shed as much.”

BS. Short haired dachsunds can shed A LOT, more than most dogs I’ve been around. You may want to revise this article.

2. mary says:

Hello, my name is Mary, and I want to have a good preso.aplacetolovedogs.com
    relationship with you, please I need your help, I am yours mary
    This is my email address (maryassane099@hotmail.com)

• lana says:

I have 2 poodles whom I groom myself. Poodles do not shed. The hair gets trapped in their coats, just like any and all “non-shedding” dogs. They lose hair (yes they have hair, not fur) everyday, just as we do. It just doesn’t fall out when you pet them or have them on your lap. When you brush them the hair comes out into the comb or brush. They require extensive grooming, but they’re awesome and great for allergy sufferers.

• nicole says:

Please do not “buy” a dog ( or puppy) from a pet store. Rescue and save a life! There is a fee, but it is mostly for the care of the dog ( nurturing/spaying, microchip, shots, etc.) I rescued my Yorkie from a private place and he needed a little training but is a wonderful, happy little dog. Yes, they do need regular grooming. Great for travel too! They are loving dogs

3. Nancy says:

A good article & something important to consider when deciding on breeds. I have a Bearded Collie who does not shed, and I used to have a Portuguese Water Dog…another non-shedder!

4. A Place To Love Dogs says:

Hi Raven, thanks for your question. I am not an expert, I gather my information from other sources. From what I have read Poodles are considered to be a non-shedding breed. They may shed their hairs as part of a normal cycle for hair, to grow, die, shed and re-grow. What hair they do shed does not fall off the body, it will get tangled within their coat. Daily brushing is very important for this reason to prevent matting. Hope this helps :)

5. Bia Shaffer says:

Hello…

Above comment says Bishon Frise Sheds alot – I have grown up with and continue to have Pure Bred Bishon Frise for more than 25 years. None have shed at all… only loose hair when brushed. Perhaps your puppy is mixed with another breed.

6. Anonymous says:

i hope u know that there are more then just that many hypoallergnic dog breeds but one web site someone put on alot of dog breeds but lots of them were wrong like they put up a samoeyed

7. Anonymous says:

i second the comment about daschunds being insane shedders. at least with my minature short hair. i was told that wire and long hair do not shed as much in comparison.

8. Ashley says:

My longhair dachshund does not shed, and if he does it’s such a small amount that it’s not noticeable. He also very rarely smells “doggie” even if he hasn’t been bathed in awhile. Each dog is different, of course, but my experience with dachshunds is that they shed little and smell fresher than most.

9. Rebecca says:

I am looking to buy a puppy. I want it to be fluffy but not shed , cute and stays a small size throughout its whole life. Any suggestions ?

10. Glo says:

You may wish to consider, when it comes to shedders and “some” shedding dogs, that premium dog food certainly curtails this. I have no affiliation in any way to any dog food brands out there however “Taste of the Wild” is my top pick…the filet mingnon of dog foods.

• Susan says:

That’s great to know! I’m wanting to get a puppy/young dog that doesn’t shed and just a well rounded pet to add to my family. I almost got a MinPin but after a little more research, I found myself highly discouraged with getting him. I’m so disappointed but glad I researched!

11. ruby says:

I to have a Bichon Frise. i have never fond a hair from him in 3years. but be warned’ they need daily brushing! but sooooo adorable .

12. Margaret says:

I worked in a house where 2 Spanish Water dogs lived inside and not once did I ever find fur/hair. These dogs had very nice personalities too, very child friendly.

13. Susana Conde says:

Black Russian Terriers are very big dogs (90+ lbs. as adults) but they have hair, not fur, so they shed as human beings shed. The do require brushing and regular grooming. I took mine to be groomed once a month. They are terrific looking dogs, with a loving temperament, but could be fierce as guard dogs, which is what the old Soviet KGB bred them for. They were allowed out of the Soviet Union in 1989, when The Wall was taken down. The American Kennel accepted them in their rolls just a few years ago.

14. Sue G. says:

I have a Schapendoes (Dutch Sheepdog) They don’t shed per se, but lose tufts of fur in the sping and fall. Hair does come out when they are brushed like a human. Their hair is fairly long – about 8 or 9 inches, they don’t need to be cut, and shouldn’t be but you have to keep up on the grooming or they mat. Medium sized dog male is 40-45lbs come in mainly black/white/grey sometimes brown/white.

15. Isabel C says:

Portuguese sheepdogs don’t shed. They have goat like hair. they only shed a bit in the first year when they change from baby to adult hair. They are great pets very inteligent.

16. Jacqueline S says:

Contrary to belief, allergies to dogs/cats are not caused by shedding hair. It is caused by an enzyme in the saliva of the animal and because these animals lick themselves, the enzyme is transferred to the hair. Bishons, Dachshunds & Basenjis are 3 breeds with little to no enzyme. I am asthmatic and learned this when I discovered my 8 year old Schnauzer was the cause of my allergies. Of course, I tolerated and medicated until the death of my beloved 4 years later. I highly recommend the Basenji for those with allergies, no shedding, as well as almost non-existent vocalizations.

17. Joan Zatorski says:

The Australian Cobber Dog (formerly called a “Labradoodle” before it was offically recognized as a distinct breed in its native Australia) was specifically bred as a service dog for those who are allergic to dog fur/dander. The Australian Cobber Dog has hair, not fur, and does not shed. Its hair is naturally resistant to sand and dirt and unlike other dog breeds with “hair” instead of “fur”, the Australian Cobber does NOT need weekly bathing to keep its coat sweet smelling and clean. I’ve been owned by one of these remarkable dogs for 7 years and he is a joy to live with!

18. Della says:

I too have a smooth ( short) haired Miniature Dachshund and she has just started shedding A LOT at 2 years old , she has the best dog food for her breed and sex so that doesn’t contribute to her shedding but she has FUR not hair , ergo , she sheds!

19. Sharon says:

We’ve had two Maktese and they were the smartest and sweetest dogs ever. Nikki, our first, was kept in a puppy cut. Kayla, our second, was kept in long coat and needed to be brushed everyday. She was so beautiful with her long flowing hair, especially when she was running. She came from a line of champion show dogs. We miss them terribly. A breed we’re thinking of now is a Shih Tzu, they always seem so laid back which is what we’re looking for now.

20. Anonymous says:

Hey guys! I just wantvyou all to know that I have a Laggotto. It is a close breed to the Spanish water dog and it does not shed any hair at all! The are not very big, they grow curly hair and are very cuddly! I highly recommend this breed for first time dog owners :)

21. Anonymous says:

Hey guys! I just want you all to know that I have a Laggotto. It is a close breed to the Spanish water dog and it does not shed any hair at all! The are not very big, they grow curly hair and are very cuddly! I highly recommend this breed for first time dog owners :)

22. Zoe says:

Cavapoo (King Charles Cavalier & Toy Poodle) don’t malt at all. Amazing, hair is thick and dense and needs regular brushing and grooming but not one hair comes out of my Cavapoo

23. paige says:

Bichon frises do not shed at all. And do not need to be brushed everyday, I have two. If your bichon sheds then it isn’t pure bred.

24. Annie says:

You don’t mention the Irish Terrier! We had two of these beautiful dogs and originally went for this breed because they didn’t shed. Not a hair came off them other than the ones we hand-stripped.

25. Elaine says:

I totally agree with the others that say Dachshunds shed like crazy. I have a mini black and tan short haired and you should see the lint filter in my dryer from her blankets.

26. Alyssa says:

My Westie sheds like crazy! I can never wear black around her or our furniture and lint rollers are a must have around the house! But I still love her to pieces ^^<3

27. dawn says:

there is a breed of dog that almost always gets overlooked, it’s the brussels griffin, they also have hair nor fur and are so cute, intelligent and easy trainable dogs.

28. Kathy says:

My Mom has a smooth coat dachshund and he sheds almost worse than my Golden Retriever! Seriously! Many years ago we had a long haired dachshund and while he did shed it was much less than Mom’s smooth coat!
    What about the Coton? They have hair not fur. Didn’t see them on the list.

29. rainey says:

Um your statement on Dachshunds don’t shed is very much a B.S. story I have a doxy and she sheds a ton. This is my second one and they both shed horribly. I also have friends who have and breed doxy’s they all shed like crazy.

30. Debbie says:

We have two West Highland Terriers. I know that they are considered a non-shedding breed – we did our research. However – they are definitely NOT non-shedding! They don’t shed a ridiculous amount – but there is still a lot of white hair in our house/car. It is easy to clean up – vacuums/lint rolls easily – but it is there. Previously, we had a Maltese-Shih Tzu cross and he did not shed a hair – nothing.
    The Westies are absolutely wonderful dogs – and we would have them again. Best personalities ever – big dogs in a little body. However, if non-shedding is an absolute must-have, this is not a breed for you!

31. Alice says:

I have two Bichons and neither of them have ever shed their hair. The only time I have ever found hair around the house us when they have just been groomed but after a wash nothing again. They are very friendly, loving little dogs who love attention.

32. Lana Prince says:

I notice people are saying their dog loses hair but does not shed. What is the difference?? I have a Bichon Poodle cross and she is the most beautiful dog ever, The only time I ever see hair is in the brush and even that is such a small amount. In summer I clip her every 4 weeks so I don’t consider that high maintence.

33. Sammy says:

I have been doing a lot of research lately because I want a puppy. Now there is 4 types of dogs that don’t shed and are calm that I have discovered. They are Maltipoo , Bichpoo, Havanese, and Maltese. The only one that is a mix is the Maltipoo,it is a mix of a Maltese and Poodle. I really hope you use my advise and pick one of these dogs

34. Joan bartels says:

I have a havanese and they are beautiful dogs and very affectionate. Non- shedding also never smells like that yucky dog smell! Lol also hardly ever barks!

35. Ariel says:

I have a mixed dog which is Shih Tzu and Lhassa Apso and she sheds a little. Most of the time, it’s a little pack of fluffy fur and some times it’s long hair that sticks to your clothes without going through them.

phew, I was scared to see Pugs in the top 10… lmao they’re big shedders

36. Brenda Beveridge says:

i have an adorable Shih Tzu x Maltese i keep his hair short but he sheds in “abundance” and has right from the start it gets every where…. i still <3 him of-course…… but the hair is a bit of a night mare !